> 2. There is one issue that is a bug in the reference implementation
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-573 Is this going to be fixed any
> time soon?

The short answer is no.

The long answer is as follows. The JDOQL process used by the DataNucleus RDBMS
plugin uses the mechanism that TJDO wrote (pretty much the only part of TJDO
that remains in the codebase). This mechanism doesn't have a full expression
tree, and consequently is not a simple process to convert into SQL, nor to
extend. This results in it being difficult to fix very complex queries such
as the one in that test without breaking something else. The strategic
solution is to replace the mechanism by a more generic process that does
create an expression tree, which can then be converted into SQL. The generic
compilation is largely written (and used by all other supported datastores),
but the process of conversion from the expression tree into SQL is not
written. I have the writing of this expression tree to SQL converter down for
DataNucleus AccessPlatform 1.1. Obviously if people offered their time to
work on these things then they'd get done much sooner.

I'd *suggest* that JDO-573 be deferred to a later Apache JDO release.

--
Andy  (DataNucleus - http://www.datanucleus.org)