Hi Richard,

I also don't see this error message when running maven javadoc from trunk/api2. The variables that use the assignment that is producing this error only occur in the top-level maven.xml in trunk, not the one in api2. So it's hard to see how you would get this from api2.

-- Michelle

Richard Schilling - Consultant wrote:

When I run the maven javadoc target from the API2 directory, I get the
following error back

$ cd trunk\api2
$ maven javadoc

__  __
|  \/  |__ _Apache__ ___
| |\/| / _` \ V / -_) ' \  ~ intelligent projects ~
|_|  |_\__,_|\_/\___|_||_|  v. 1.1

Caught exception evaluating: basedir.substring(0, basedir.lastIndexOf('jdo')).
Reason: java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: -1
java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: -1
       at java.lang.String.substring(String.java:1938)
       at
       at
       at
org.apache.commons.jexl.util.introspection.UberspectImpl$VelMethodImpl.invoke(UberspectImpl.java:231)
       at org.apache.commons.jexl.parser.ASTMethod.execute(ASTMethod.java:104)
       at
org.apache.commons.jexl.parser.ASTReference.execute(ASTReference.java:82)

... add nausium

The javadoc target seems to run, however and generate javadoc items.

But, what causes this error exactly, and how do I avoid it?

Jira bug JDO 603 (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-603) suggests that a
directory name has to contain the text "jdo".

The build documentation doesn't specify build instructions completely -
something I'll be updating, BTW when I get this question answered ...

Thanks in advance.

Richard Schilling