On the telecon this morning, we discussed how square brackets are used in the spec, other than in the hidden assertion markers. In some cases, the spec uses brackets around an internal cross reference, as in "[see Chapter 5]". I checked several on-line style guides for information about the use of brackets in writing.

http://www.apastyle.org/learn/faqs/use-brackets.aspx
http://data.grammarbook.com/blog/brackets/changing-a-quote-using-brackets/

The most similar case presented in these sources is the use of brackets for references, but that is strictly for a reference that provides a key to bibliographic entries that are listed elsewhere in the document. IMHO, it would be more in accord with standard usage to use parentheses instead of square brackets for internal cross references in the spec. This would alleviate potential confusion with the brackets in assertion markers when using a script to extract assertions.

-- Michelle