Hi,

I like the use case for orElse(), that looks indeed useful. I added a test case for that.

I switched to the latest m4-SNAPSHOT, that solves most of the problems.
Two problems remain:

a) Currently, "!(optionalPC.id == 88)" does not return objects with an 'empty' optionalPC field.

I can't really tell whether this is correct or not. The spec says (14.6.2):
"Navigation through a null-valued field, which would throw NullPointerException, is treated as if the subexpression returned false."

If 'subexpression' means '!(optionalPC.id == 88)', the above behaviour is as intended. However, so far (in ZooDB) I interpreted 'subexpression' as the 'minimal' subexpression, i.e. 'optionalPC.id == 88' is the sub-expression. In this interpretation, the above query should also match all objects with an 'empty' optional field.

I'm not sure which is correct.

@Craig, @Michael, maybe you could clarify?

b) the first test in orElse() now accepts orElse(), but fails with a NPE:

testOrElse(org.apache.jdo.tck.query.jdoql.methods.SupportedOptionalMethods)java.lang.NullPointerException
    at java.lang.Class.isAssignableFrom(Native Method)
at org.datanucleus.store.rdbms.sql.method.OptionalOrElseMethod.getExpression(OptionalOrElseMethod.java:61) at org.datanucleus.store.rdbms.sql.expression.SQLExpressionFactory.invokeMethod(SQLExpressionFactory.java:306) at org.datanucleus.store.rdbms.sql.expression.OptionalExpression.invoke(OptionalExpression.java:42) at org.datanucleus.store.rdbms.query.QueryToSQLMapper.processInvokeExpression(QueryToSQLMapper.java:3711) at org.datanucleus.store.rdbms.query.QueryToSQLMapper.processInvokeExpression(QueryToSQLMapper.java:3585) at org.datanucleus.query.evaluator.AbstractExpressionEvaluator.compilePrimaryExpression(AbstractExpressionEvaluator.java:213) at org.datanucleus.query.evaluator.AbstractExpressionEvaluator.compileUnaryExpression(AbstractExpressionEvaluator.java:182) at org.datanucleus.query.evaluator.AbstractExpressionEvaluator.compileAdditiveMultiplicativeExpression(AbstractExpressionEvaluator.java:161) at org.datanucleus.query.evaluator.AbstractExpressionEvaluator.compileRelationalExpression(AbstractExpressionEvaluator.java:136) at org.datanucleus.query.evaluator.AbstractExpressionEvaluator.compileOrAndExpression(AbstractExpressionEvaluator.java:78) at org.datanucleus.query.evaluator.AbstractExpressionEvaluator.evaluate(AbstractExpressionEvaluator.java:46) at org.datanucleus.query.expression.Expression.evaluate(Expression.java:338) at org.datanucleus.query.expression.DyadicExpression.evaluate(DyadicExpression.java:69) at org.datanucleus.store.rdbms.query.QueryToSQLMapper.compileFilter(QueryToSQLMapper.java:553) at org.datanucleus.store.rdbms.query.QueryToSQLMapper.compile(QueryToSQLMapper.java:429) at org.datanucleus.store.rdbms.query.JDOQLQuery.compileQueryFull(JDOQLQuery.java:887) at org.datanucleus.store.rdbms.query.JDOQLQuery.compileInternal(JDOQLQuery.java:347)
    at org.datanucleus.store.query.Query.executeQuery(Query.java:1883)
    at org.datanucleus.store.query.Query.executeWithArray(Query.java:1811)
    at org.datanucleus.api.jdo.JDOQuery.executeInternal(JDOQuery.java:369)
    at org.datanucleus.api.jdo.JDOQuery.executeWithArray(JDOQuery.java:268)
    at org.apache.jdo.tck.query.QueryTest.execute(QueryTest.java:1257)
    at org.apache.jdo.tck.query.QueryTest.execute(QueryTest.java:1133)
at org.apache.jdo.tck.query.QueryTest.executeAPIQuery(QueryTest.java:1069) at org.apache.jdo.tck.query.jdoql.methods.SupportedOptionalMethods.checkQuery(SupportedOptionalMethods.java:297) at org.apache.jdo.tck.query.jdoql.methods.SupportedOptionalMethods.testOrElse(SupportedOptionalMethods.java:312)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62) at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
    at org.apache.jdo.tck.JDO_Test.runBare(JDO_Test.java:284)
at org.apache.jdo.tck.util.BatchTestRunner.doRun(BatchTestRunner.java:108) at org.apache.jdo.tck.util.BatchTestRunner.start(BatchTestRunner.java:148) at org.apache.jdo.tck.util.BatchTestRunner.main(BatchTestRunner.java:123)

I'll upload the latest version to the JIRA.

Cheers,
Tilmann