Hmm .. I suppose some clarification/reminding of how stuff owrks will not
harm here...

Something must build/compile this selenium plugin. Usually this something
is "build moneky". Usually these build monekys are most occupied people in
whole development process because of several reasons - few of them you
mentioned by yourself. For example - build automatization systems,
therefore, build scripts have got no AI to automatically adapt to new
changes made in api level of the dependewd software, therefore you have two

 - maintain you own compatability layer ( in the form of some kind of lib
.. )
 - force Selenium to pay someone willing to maintain it. Web Browser deves
have no 3rd party interest in this ... :/

Therefore it the word "maintaining" is used ... it is not about willing -
it is almost all the time about inconsistency on the release/version
schedule and lack of documentation.

--
A.C. Linards L.