Thank you Ivan and nicolas.

I think now the call of (high level)
  git.merge at gitplugin
https://github.com/jenkinsci/git-plugin/blob/master/src/main/java/hudson/plugins/git/GitSCM.java#L1160
corresponds with (low level)
  git-client-plugin's
https://github.com/jenkinsci/git-client-plugin/blob/master/src/main/java/org/jenkinsci/plugins/gitclient/CliGitAPIImpl.java#L416

Correct?

So nicolas, please tell me how you intended to allow for simple flags like
"--no-ff" to flow from high to low.
I think I could replace the high level call with:

launchCommand("merge", rev.name(), MYFLAG );

But I guess this is a rather quick and dirty solution bypassing the wrapper
function.
Use of the @Deprecated  public void merge(String refSpec)  method at
CliGitAPIImpl.java:1114 is out of the question too, I guess.

So is there a better/intended way of passing flags to actual commands?
A flag setter or a way to use GitSCM.java's  "EnvVars environment;"  ?

Thank you very much

Michael