Cannot say, why it is so, but I agree that it feels like a bug.

I had no luck to get the M2 Release Plugin working with the git plugin at all - even after following several advises found by googling for the problem. I have now a freestyle job which does
git clone repo; mvn release:prepare release:perform

Why is the git plugin making that so difficult?

Christoph