----- Original Message -----
From: jenkinsci-dev@googlegroups.com
To: jenkinsci-dev@googlegroups.com
At: Nov 12 2013 05:17:15

I think part of the issue is that our canonical repositories are on github...

I would favour jenkins-ci.org being masters of its own destiny... hence I would
recommend hosting canonical repos on project owned hardware and using GIT as a
mirror of those canonical repositories... much like the way ASF uses GIT. That
would allow us to implement policies such as preventing forced push to specific
branches, etc...

Of course that would be another pom.xml <scm> update change, namely the
<developerConnection> would point to the canonical repo while the <connection>
would point to the github repo... (with some use of
http://developer.github.com/v3/users/keys/#list-public-keys-for-a-user we
should be able to let users just register their keys in github)

e.g. the <scm> details would look like:

  <scm>
    <connection>scm:git:git://github.com/jenkinsci/[plugin
name]-plugin.git</connection>
    <developerConnection>scm:git:git.jenkins-ci.org:jenkinsci/[plugin
name]-plugin.git</developerConnection>
    <url>http://github.com/jenkinsci/[plugin name]-plugin</url>
  </scm>

Maven will then do the "right thing" for pushing releases *even if you checkout
from github*... and we just have the canonical repos force push to github and
put proper permission sets on the canonical repos... most developers will thus
see no effective difference :-)