I should have sent this out Friday, but here it goes.

At the end of day 1, I saw that "mvn test" in the test module was having a
lot of failures left & right --- JavaScript inside HtmlUnit is reporting
errors that we don't see in the actual browsers. I talked to Tom about
this, and my understanding is that he's trying to upgrade HtmlUnit to a
later version (we run a very old 2.6 while 2.17 is the latest) before
spending any time looking into why tests are failing.

Tom did the initial attempt of upgrading to plain unmodified HtmlUnit 2.17,
which didn't work. So I spent much of Day 2 starting from there and then
backporting some patchsets we maintain for HtmlUnit 2.6. But I still failed
to make this work, and eventually I abandoned this so that I can make some
progress in other areas. The result of the backporting is here
<https://github.com/jenkinsci/htmlunit/tree/master-2.17>.

So the bottom line, Day 2, the Universe won and I lost.

In Day 3, I gave up on the tests and got back to fixing form submissions by
manually trying it out. I went through the remaining 14 Jelly form tags and
fixed form submissions for all of them. I've also spent some time looking
at jenkins-js-builder <https://github.com/tfennelly/jenkins-js-builder> that
the core now depends on, how JavaScript CommonJS modules are put together
now, and how inter-plugin dependencies between JS modules are supposed to
be written and work. Tom has an AI to write up about this as this is going
to rebump how we do frontend development.

I'll let Gus report his progress on his own, but AIU he was fixing UI
glitches and misbehaviours one by one. There were still some issues (such
as controls overlapping each other, things were not hidden when they should
have, etc.) While this work isn't complete, Gus told me that he felt good
that the plumbing is all in place to let him make a progress; he doesn't
feel like he's blocked by others.

What's next?

   - I'm going to look at the effect of this change to plugins. I came up
   with an idea to reduce the impact of the plugins compatibility problem (
   JENKINS-29659 <https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-29659>), so
   I'm going to see if this idea works.

   - Daniel Beck is going to schedule out-of-cycle Jenkins Office Hours so
   that we can go through this proposed change. It has at least two angles:
   the UX changes that impact users, and the internal changes that impact
   plugin developers.

   - IIUC, Tom is working on getting the tests working and he has reported
   some progress
   <https://trello.com/c/8TG9vOpc/16-make-unit-tests-pass-in-the-new-branch>
   .

Exciting progress!