On 16.09.2015, at 15:50, Jesse Glick <jgl...@cloudbees.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 3:42 AM, Tom Fennelly <tom.fenne...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> The plugin in WEB-INF/detached-plugins is already already installed in
>> "this" jenkins instance.
>> The only effect here will be a possible upgrade of the plugin if the
>> installed version is less than the bundled version AND the installed version
>> is not pinned.
>
> -1, `*.jpi.pinned` should be ignored henceforth, and we should leave
> the installed version alone, period.

The issue that caused me to think we may need to keep pinning around is your
change to External Monitor Job 1.4 where a resource was moved from core into
the plugin. Tom upgraded from 1.547 to 1.62x (with his bundling changes) and
wondered where the error that a Messages entry for that job type wasn't found
came from.

What are we going to do when we notice there's something broken with the first
release of a detached (and therefore compat-bundled) plugin? Fix and release
the plugin, and increase the compat-bundled version? This won't help users who
have the older release. Should we just tell them to please update the plugin
version? I guess one approach would be to repurpose the current
PinningIsBlockingBundledPluginMonitor to just say "You should really update
these plugins, we think the old releases are broken" or something like that?