On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 6:16 AM, Daniel Beck <m...@beckweb.net> wrote:
>> we will upgrade if the plugin does not meet the minimum version requirements
>> i.e. is less than the bundled version (in /WEB-INF/detached-plugins).
>
> Yep, it looks like that's what Jesse is arguing for.

Yes. So my running proposal (beware that I have not had time to work
through every implication, the onus is on you to test the corner
cases!):

· nothing, nada, in `WEB-INF/plugins/`
· `WEB-INF/detached-plugins/` only for plugins historically split out
of core, and only the 1.0 release created at the time of the split
  · but amended as needed to 1.0.x to pick up important fixes either
for accidental regressions in the original split, or core
incompatibilities introduced subsequently
  · also for the transitive dependencies of split plugins (e.g.,
`script-security`), in the minimal possible versions satisfying stated
dependencies
· `*.jpi.pinned` to be ignored/deleted henceforth
· plugin list in an existing installation left unmodified except
  · split plugins added as needed, according to last-run version
  · in the special case of a *previous* automatic installation of a
1.0 split plugin, if 1.0.x is now in `detached-plugins`, upgrade
  · likewise, if a dependency of a split plugin is newer than the
installed version, upgrade
· delete `PinningIsBlockingBundledPluginMonitor`

> we'd lose Translation Assistance

Just check it by default in the new plugin wizard. I do not see how
this is any different from any other plugin we broadly recommend users
install.

> dependencies of "feature" plugins OR Jenkins core itself

Jenkins core cannot depend on a plugin, this makes no sense. (There
are `jenkins-module`s shared among core and plugins, but the user has
no control over their installation, they are just in `WEB-INF/lib/`.)