I see several problems with this BC breaking approach:

- Countless instances will have to use both the DB and the FS as backend
simultaneously for some time. If this will span several upgrades,
downgrades will be a pain for the whole time.
- There are plugins that depend on files heavily. (Copy artifact plugin was
not fixed to use ArtifactManager since 1.532 (and as it depends on
attributes that are not provided by the abstraction it is a bit tricky)).

My rough estimate is this would require fixing tens of percents of all
plugins.

Note that I am not suggesting to use the as the persistence API for next 10
years but as a way to ensure all plugins will be DB compatible without
rework.

--
oliver