Hi,

I’ve just installed a new instance of Jenkins and got it silently not
starting (however error messages was in the jenkins logs).

The container was set up with JDK6 (thus making Jenkins unable to start due
to its new requirements). But as you can see, the command line didn’t
report any problem :

root@jenkins:~# service jenkins restart

[ ok ] Restarting Jenkins Continuous Integration Server: jenkins.

In order to prevent this silent failure, maybe the maintainers of the
Debian Installer could update the requirement of the .deb to force the
jenkins installation to depend on an installed version of the JRE/JDK >= 7,
and thus not let jenkins install itself on a system running previous
versions of the JRE/JDK.

One nice improvement could also be to instruct the debian service script to
report jenkins starting failures accordingly.

For information, here’s my script to install the jenkins server inside the
container :

apt-get update
apt-get install openjdk-6-jdk

wget -q -O - http://pkg.jenkins-ci.org/debian-stable/jenkins-ci.org.key |