On 20 October 2015 at 12:06, James Nord <jn...@cloudbees.com> wrote:
>> I have some concerns about mandating a tidy-up (I note that Jesse is
>> against rewriting the history of a PR branch as that means that GitHub
>> hides the code review comments)
>

> Can you explain this.  If I pushed a rebased commit the comments are still
> there with "commented on an outdated diff" (and if the comment is still
> applicable to the LOC is still shows) [1]
> This is no different to comments on a commit being addressed in a future
> commit and as such are still visible?

Well I will not speak for Jesse, so you would want to check with him
as to his logic.

I have seen that the GitHub comment tracking feature can be
unreliable... while it does the right thing and keeps the comments
with the new rewritten history *most* (say 8 out of 10 times) of the
time, there are times when it doesn't... so if you rewrite the history
I cannot trust that all my comments will have been tracked correctly
(especially if I have more than 10 of them... then there's a good
chance that 2 of them were mis-tracked... and it's oh so fun trying to
manually track comments, esp if they get "deleted" and you have to
switch back to email threads) and I have to re-review all the changes
to ensure that in rewriting the history you didn't inadvertently
introduce some other side change