Figured it out and deleted the original posts because they were effectively
noise in the Google Groups. It was developer error. I was looking at a test
input that would've generated more branches than free matching slaves, but
mistakenly rebuilding my job with another test input where threads <
available matching slaves.

When I fed it the "threads > slaves" input, parallel worked as expected: 5
concurrent threads, then 5 more, etc. until all branches in the map were
executed.

Thanks,