Hi everyone,

Some context:
-----------------
In the past few days, I've been working on JENKINS-24278
<https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-24278> to add inodes usage
monitoring to Jenkins. That initially resulted in the creation of a new
dedicated plugin <https://github.com/batmat/inodes-monitor-plugin>.

After some discussion with Oleg, I filed a PR against core to add the new
monitor
alongside the DiskSpaceMonitor one (since monitoring inodes usage is just
as important
as monitoring disk space).

(If you wonder what those *monitors* are, they are what's used to generate
this table
<https://cloud.githubusercontent.com/assets/223853/12249957/8fd3cf8c-b8c3-11e5-9b8b-39e40e87c280.png>
on
the /computer
page).

Discussion ensued, again :)
-----------------------------------
In that PR
<https://github.com/jenkinsci/jenkins/pull/1974#issuecomment-170930133>,
along with fixing things here and there, we basically finally came to the
currently common idea that instead of adding things to core, we should
strive and split
them from it.

That would indeed have many advantages: not cluttering core with a new
class,
disconnect the lifecycle of those classes from core (that is: new
features/fixes would be
usable w/o having to wait a release many months later, or an LTS backport).

As James said in the PR, for example, ssh-slaves plugin is even more
important than node
monitoring, and *is* a plugin.

Split Proposal
---------------
So, the proposal is basically to remove the *hudson.node_monitors* package
from the
core, and make that a new plugin (+adding the inodes usage monitoring as a
future
step, obviously).

When done, I suppose that in the short term, at least for backwards
compatibility
reasons we would add it as a bundled plugin.

I'm willing to work on that one, but will obviously welcome any help and/or
feedback on
what to double-check to do it correctly.

What I already for example have in mind is to use git filter-branch to
preserve history on
those classes in the new plugin (though we would still have it in core if
need be).

WDYT?

Thanks

-- Baptiste