> On 07/03/16 18:31, Kohsuke Kawaguchi wrote:
>
>> Once somebody attempts to implement another one, then that effort should
>> help drive identifying reusable pieces. I'd love to see that happen. I
>> think Domi is probably right that there's some opportunities for more
>> reuse, and I also agree with Bobby/Manuel that users should see the
>> terminologies specific to their services. Fortunately, none of these
>> code is API, so it's relatively easy to move things around later.
>>
>> OTOH, it's likely that BitBucket Org Folder plugin maintainer won't care
>> about GH Org Folder and vice versa, so if the code is separate, they
>> will be able to make decisions on their own and innovate faster, whereas
>> reuse would require constant collaboration which hinders velocity of
>> development...
>>

> You say "innovate faster", I say "create a horrible mess of inconsistent
> and duplicated UIs, which is a large part of why people consider Jenkins to
> be a disaster in terms of user experience".

The situation you cite about GitHub below is a real one and we should fix
it! In a way this is one of the motivations behind creating the recommended
set of plugins, which makes us own these problems within the recommended
set.

But does the same problem apply to GitHub Org Folder vs BitBucket Org
Folder? Those two plugins are unlikely to share any configuration.

e.g. this image shows (part of) what a user will see on the system config
> page if they install the GitHub-related plugins that will be recommended by
> Jenkins 2.0:
> http://i.imgur.com/0Iv5lF3.png
>

> Having had to maintain a Jenkins instance where we regularly used both
> GitHub and BitBucket, I wouldn't like to imagine what the UI will look like
> if more GitHub and BitBucket plugins like this get created, with even the
> same or less amount of reusability than there is now.

> I do think it's probably fair enough to let plugin authors do whatever
> they want for many use cases, but for the really commonly used stuff —
> especially SCMs — there ought to be a lot more effort put into the user
> experience, rather than just the developers' experience.

OK, point taken.

--
Kohsuke Kawaguchi