Hey,

This is Payal Priyadarshini, a final year undergraduate student enrolled in
its dual degree (B.Tech+M.Tech) programme of CSE department of Indian
Institute of Technology Kharagpur. I have gone through the idea list of the
project offered, and i am interested in Usage Statistics Analysis Project.

I have experience in Data Mining field, where I worked with the Meetup [online
social networking portal that facilitates offline group meetings] data to
find out the success of events, group popularities etc.

Regarding this project, I am going through few links suggested by Daniel.

Link1 : http://stats.jenkins-ci.org/

- Jenkins Statistics [
http://stats.jenkins-ci.org/jenkins-stats/svg/svgs.html]

   - The way charts are generated can be improved, like instead of using
   linear axis, we can use logarithmic axis so that it can cover larger range,
   plot the size distributions etc. Although I didn't get what does "nodes"
   represent.
   - The new UI can be developed which will be easy to understand, to view
   the statistics of the usage. For example to show the popularity of the
   plugins in a given time period, we can only show top 20 plugins, to
   increase the visibility in piechart or bar graph.

We can maintain duration window(can be adjusted by the user) and then show
stats in that time frame rather than showing the monthly data. Similar idea
related to processing is already there on wiki page of the project. I will
elaborate all these points in detail in my proposal.

- Jenkins plugin dependency graph [link
<http://stats.jenkins-ci.org/jenkins-stats/jenkinsgraph.html?filter=kohsuke>
]

   - I think dependency graph can be exploited to tell what plugins are
   more likely used together. Can someone please clarify that what exactly
   dependency denotes here ? And, where can I find the source code for this.

Census data [link <https://jenkins-ci.org/census/>]

   - What is the metadata/fields for these json files?

Repo for the current sources [link
<https://github.com/jenkinsci/infra-statistics>].

   - Which languages other than groovy can be used by candidates for this
   project?

So, after going through all these links, what should my next step to make
contribution to this project ?

Looking forward to suggestions.

Thanks a lot.

Regards,