On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 3:26 PM, Robert Sandell <rsand...@cloudbees.com>
wrote:

> I don't think we should have to rely on having to make a release just to
> get a fix into the documentation.
> The doc generation should be just picked from the master branch during the
> static generation of jenkins.io unless that would take too much time.
> That way a pull request with a new feature in it could also contain a
> documentation update in the same PR, I believe the Jenkins DLS plugin is
> doing it that way.

Job DSL keeps the documentation in the source repo (
https://github.com/jenkinsci/job-dsl-plugin/tree/master/docs), but the
"official" documentation is copied to the GitHub wiki on every release.
There is a nice Gradle plugin for doing that (
https://github.com/jenkinsci/job-dsl-plugin/blob/job-dsl-1.46/build.gradle#L196-208).
I'm really looking forward to moving the docs to jenkins.io.

But I do not want to confuse users with documentation that does not match a
released plugin. Pulling the docs from master would be a no-go for me. The
master branch may contain work in progress and I do not want to cut a
release just to keep the docs consistent or up-to-date. Pulling the docs
from a separate branch, similar to gh-pages would be nice. Plugin
maintainers could update the branch any time, either on release or in
between for fixes.

I would also like to propose that the README file in the repo is NOT the
> main user documentation index file, it seems to be tradition that that file
> is aimed at people currently browsing the repo and hence aimed at
> developers more than users. It doesn't hurt to include it in the plugin
> docs but it shouldn't be the front page.

+1 for a clear separation of users and contributors, those are two
different roles with different needs.

Daniel