Hello everyone,

I hope everything going fine there.

Over the last days, Víctor Martinez <https://github.com/v1v> and me, have
been working on analyzing the fulfillment of the Hosting Plugin
Prerequisites
<https://wiki.jenkins.io/display/JENKINS/Hosting+Plugins#HostingPlugins-Prerequisites>.
Especially the part where the license requirement is described.

Copied and pasted:

Specify an open source license <http://opensource.org/licenses/> for your
code (*most plugins use MIT*)

   - The Jenkins project *does not host closed-source* plugins
   - All of the dependencies of your plugin must also be open
   source-licensed
   - *You should specify the license in the plugin metadata* (e.g. pom.xml),
   but ideally also in a LICENSE file in the root of your repository

We have created and launched a script to list, at least, how many plugins
(1) are hosted in the Jenkins Organization are not meeting the
prerequisites.

   - 1856 repositories were analyzed
   - 1644 repositories of which their repository name ends in "-plugin"
   - 560 plugin repositories (of the above 1644) do not have defined a
   license section either in their POM files explicitly or implicitly within
   their parent POM
   - *452 plugin repositories* (of the above 560) don't have any LICENSE
   files either

>From my point of view, I see two issues:

   - What does it mean no license definition/declaration?
   - Those prerequisites are only a suggestion/recommendation or simply
   Jenkins project is not enforcing them.

In order to improve (or at least, change the current status) two different
proposals were sent:

   1. Defining a default license (MIT License) in the plugin-pom: PR-85
   <https://github.com/jenkinsci/plugin-pom/pull/85>
   2. Defining a new EnforcerRule (RequireLicense) and using it in the
   plugin-pom: PR-86 <https://github.com/jenkinsci/plugin-pom/pull/86>

This subject has sparked off a storm of controversy with some important
contributors of this project.

(1) With the configuration based on Maven.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not a lawyer and my knowledge of these legal subjects is
very limited.

Regards

--
Manuel Recena Soto