Doesn't Robert's suggestion address the CLI/REST issue?
If I extend it and use it in my own authorization strategy, I can deny
create permission for the descriptor types of type freestyle, pipeline, etc.
But then again, I I've read that descriptors only define and bind the UI
displayed, correct? Do the CLI and REST endpoints also depend on
descriptors?

http://javadoc.jenkins-ci.org/hudson/security/ACL.html#hasCreatePermission-org.acegisecurity.Authentication-hudson.model.ItemGroup-hudson.model.TopLevelItemDescriptor-

<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fjavadoc.jenkins-ci.org%2Fhudson%2Fsecurity%2FACL.html%23hasCreatePermission-org.acegisecurity.Authentication-hudson.model.ItemGroup-hudson.model.TopLevelItemDescriptor-&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNFkG2g-IcoGlWC0coQExCMHb2LoAg>

public boolean hasCreatePermission(@Nonnull
<http://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/api/javax/annotation/Nonnull.html?is-external=true>
                                   org.acegisecurity.Authentication a,
                                   @Nonnull
<http://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/api/javax/annotation/Nonnull.html?is-external=true>
                                   ItemGroup
<http://javadoc.jenkins-ci.org/hudson/model/ItemGroup.html> c,
                                   @Nonnull
<http://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/api/javax/annotation/Nonnull.html?is-external=true>
                                   TopLevelItemDescriptor
<http://javadoc.jenkins-ci.org/hudson/model/TopLevelItemDescriptor.html> d)

Checks if the given principal has the permission to create top level items
within the specified item group.