Jesse,
Thanks for the reminder about that point around commenting.

As an editor, I have no objections to having pre-draft discussions in
whatever way contributors see fit.

As a sponsor of JEP-1, it is important to me that when a sponsor submits a
JEP for "Approval as Draft", that feedback they get on _that_ PR focuses on
issues that would prevent the JEP being approved as draft rather than on
design or other questions.  I'll add a note about this to
https://github.com/jenkinsci/jep/pull/76 .

-Liam