(replies inline)

On Fri, 13 Apr 2018, Oliver Gond??a wrote:

> On 2018-04-13 18:23, Carlos Sanchez wrote:
> > Hi Oliver,
> >
> > There are some changes for core that would be really helpful to have in
> > hands of people for testing sooner than later
> >
> > https://github.com/jenkinsci/jenkins/pull/3302
> >
> > All new methods are marked with the new @Beta annotation so it should be
> > clear that it's not final.
> >
> > We expect this to be in the next weekly or so,but I would really like to
> > ensure we can pull this into the next LTS if at all possible,what can I
> > do to help prepare these changes for the LTS,even if we tried to
> > backport it?
>
> Hi, Let's make the discussion public.
>
> My personal take is the LTS and Beta.class are quite orthogonal in
> principle. When it comes to the actual change, it feels far from trivial for
> such an exception IMO. What is the motivation here? Backporting this will
> get it in LTS in 4 weeks, otherwise it will get in in 8 weeks.
>
> Thoughts? I would really like to avoid backporting something before it has
> its final shape (IOW, merged to master).

Hey Oliver, I was chatting with Carlos about this earlier and encouraged him to
reach out to you to better understand your thoughts for considering code coming
into the LTS.

>From my understanding of what Carlos is asking about, is not pulling anything
into an LTS which isn't already in a Weekly release. Rather, I think Carlos is
apprehensive about the timing between Weekly releases and LTS, and is worried
about missing the last Weekly before our typical 2-weeks-before LTS cutoff."

I think Carlos's team has worked quite hard to get the underlying code to
enable external artifacts ready, and considers one indication of "success" to
have that code delivered in our next LTS cycle, since LTSes are consumed by the
vast majority of Jenkins users who would benefit from this functionality.

I *hope* I've captured the situation clearly.

The questions Carlos has about LTS timing I think are all moot assuming that
the aforementioned pull request gets reviewed and merged in a timely manner for
next week's release (from my understanding).

Cheers