On Mon, May 14, 2018 at 10:04 AM, Daniel Beck <m...@beckweb.net> wrote:
> ruby-runtime has caused quite some work for core maintainers

I have personally spent a fair amount of time trying to deal with it;
for example, writing what seems to have been the first acceptance test
exercising any Ruby-based functionality, so as to demonstrate the
effectiveness of a core workaround for a bug in this runtime.

> WDYT?

+1. From the perspective of Essentials I think we need to be willing
to sacrifice some old stuff which was serving as a drag on
productivity. For the case of GitLab hooks in particular, developer
effort would be better spent enhancing the (Java-based) branch source
plugin to react to SCM events without polling.

I suppose this proposal would be best formalized as a “standards” JEP,
though JEP-1 does not specifically mention feature or subsystem
deprecation as a use case.