On 22/12/2018 14.22, Ullrich Hafner wrote:
Lucie, thank you for your excellent summary of the current situation!

Since only Mark responded so far this is an indication that actually only a few Jenkins developers are using ATH right now. I also think, that using ATH in the current way makes not much sense anymore.

As you suggested, a valid option would be to split the two groups of tests (smoke tests and plugin specific tests) also physically. This would make much sense for me, too. Having the ATH tests for my plugins in my own plugin would improve my development cycle: The tests could be automatically started in our CI server as soon as I push some changes (or a PR has been submitted). Then I also would get feedback if I broke something in the UI (at least if I run these tests in travis). On the other hand, this would require that we must be more carefully when we refactor ATH core classes since now we won’t see compile errors (due to API changes) immediately. And if plugin authors do not really care about these test in their plugins then they can feel free to delete them.

However, this approach makes LTS testing more difficult. At least in theory - as far as I understood your post, in the current state ATH is not helpful in ATH testing anymore.

Thanks for your insights, Ullrich. This is very useful as you are/ware quite and active user and contributor. I hope the initiative we are starting here with Lucie will get more traction after the winter break so we will certainly get back to you.

--
oliver