(replies inline)

On Fri, 08 Feb 2019, Kohsuke Kawaguchi wrote:

> This excessive rebuilding behaviour also causes lots of ops overhead by
> eating up disk space.

The disk space issues we experience are due to unaddressed scalability tickets
in Jenkins Pipeline, we would be seeing them regardless.

> I think we need to change the current behaviour of ci.jenkins.io.

I have been opposed to the change, but I don't consider my voice the final say
here.

My objection is that I fundamentally do not believe the green check mark on a
pull request is accurate unless the pull request is rebuilt and tested against
the latest HEAD of the target branch, even in cases of fast-forwards.

There are 88 pull requests open on Jenkins core right now, and I think it's
absolutely false to characterize anything that hasn't been updated in more than
three to six months as "valid."

I believe Daniel and Oleg have done a great job trying to keep things labeled
and organized, so we can tell that of that 88 we have 27 marked as needing more
review and 21 marked as works in progress, both going back for 2-3 years.

If core alone is causing a denial of service on ci.jenkins.io (it's not), and
we are unwilling to address the root cause, one easy solution is to add a
specific label for core only, which would be a fixed set of agents, allowing
other workloads to bypass the bottleneck.

If the maintainers of Jenkins core wish to change the settings for
core in ci.jenkins.io, I know at least one of them has the privileges to do so.

Personally, I like the probot suggestion from Oliver a lot more. Stale pull
requests are a boat anchor which drags down an open source community, and that
is IMHO the underlying problem worth fixing  here.

Cheers
--
GitHub:  https://github.com/rtyler

GPG Key ID: 0F2298A980EE31ACCA0A7825E5C92681BEF6CEA2