Hi everyone,

When I investigated the cause for a bug involving Blue Ocean and Matrix Auth
plugins today (JENKINS-46540), I noticed that it seems undefined whether
"Overall" permissions would be granted on non root objects.

This matters because Matrix Auth plugin allows to not inherit permissions from
higher level ACLs, so that something like "Access to all jobs except X" can
more easily be implemented through the few jobs that are exceptions, rather
than granting the permission individually on all other jobs.

As a side effect, checking for Overall/Read on non root level, for example
l:task's `permission` attribute, will now fail (which AFAICT is ultimately the
cause of JENKINS-46540). Obviously, checking Overall/Read is generally not
useful outside of UnprotectedRootActions with nontrivial behavior, as users are
expected to have this permission to even see the UI that would check that
permission.

Perhaps a better example: I expect the same problem applies to an agent level
permission check for Overall/RunScripts to display the agent script console
link in Computer/sidepanel.jelly. Of course, we don't allow these 'dangerous'
permissions to be granted independent of Administer without jumping through
hoops for a few years now, so it's not a great example either.

To not prevent accidental locking out of administrators, Overall/Administer is
an exception to permissions not being inherited in Matrix Auth, so cannot serve
as an example here.

What is the correct behavior for authorization realms here? Should Overall/*
permissions be inherited by all ACLs?