> On 20. Jun 2019, at 15:44, Jesse Glick <jgl...@cloudbees.com> wrote:
>
> My inclination is to say that the best practice would be for the `url`
> ought to point to plugins.jenkins.io, which ought to be (somehow)
> aggregating `README.md` + `releases`, but that the plugin manager
> ought to link directly to `releases`.

This doesn't really downgrade gracefully for plugins that don't use releases.
(And FTR, Jenkins currently links to the POM <url> from the plugin manager
"Installed" tab, as that's what the plugin specifies, while
"Available"/"Updates" link to the plugin site, as that's what the update center
provides -- this can probably be improved a bit too, allowing the update center
to override the URL linked to from "Installed" for any plugin it advertises,
with a downgrade to <url> if unavailable).

Ideally we improve plugins.jenkins.io to be a sufficiently useful resource for
both use cases. For most plugins, we know their GitHub repository, so should be
able to include information from there on plugins.jenkins.io, having release
notes (both manually maintained on the wiki, on GitHub with CHANGELOG.md, or
via GH releases) and documentation (wiki or GH) side by side -- that's more or
less been the idea from the beginning, but so far nobody had the time to
actually do it.

Regarding the wiki page, that's not _really_ been necessary for a few years.
It's just that plugins.jenkins.io can only currently inline wiki pages, not
GitHub repos/pages (which it would just link to[1]) -- but with
https://github.com/jenkins-infra/plugin-site-api/pull/54 it looks like that's
about to change.

1: For example https://plugins.jenkins.io/google-kubernetes-engine