Thanks very much for starting the discussion.

I'm interested in evaluating the switch from OpenJDK to AdoptOpenJDK.  I've
been using JDK 8 and 11 hotspot builds from AdoptOpenJDK for many months
with very good results.

Several of the OpenJDK providers (Red Hat, Amazon, Azul) seem to be
limiting their platform support much more than AdoptOpenJDK does.  So long
as we can get the platforms we need (Debian, CentOS, UBI), I'm interested
in evaluating the change.

I thought there were specific barriers that prevent Alpine Linux support,
though I see that Azul provides an Alpine Linux build for 8, 11, and 13.

On Fri, Oct 18, 2019 at 2:09 PM Jim Crowley <james.crow...@ibm.com> wrote:

> I posted this proposal on GitHub,
> https://github.com/jenkinsci/docker/issues/893, but also wanted to get
> the feedback of the community here.
>

> As we start to look into supporting multiple architectures, we might want
> to pivot from using OpenJDK to AdoptOpenJDK. There are couple reasons
> behind this.
>

> First, it makes our build scripts and Dockerfiles easier to maintain.
> Currently, in publish-experimental.sh, we have logic that handles pulling
> from the “right” OpenJDK for a specific architecture. This could be remove
> as the AdoptOpenJDK Docker image, https://hub.docker.com/_/adoptopenjdk,
> has a manifest file that will handle pulling the correct image for the
> given architecture.
>

> Second, the OpenJDK image’s we are pulling from to build out our
> multi-arch images, s390x/ openjdk:8-jdk, arm32v7/openjdk:8-jdk, etc. will
> not be updated anymore. This has to do with OpenJDK not publishing
> “official” binaries for these architectures. More information on this issue
> can be found here,
> https://github.com/docker-library/openjdk/issues/364#issuecomment-540821603
> .
>

> Third, this would pair nicely with the proposal to add OpenJ9,
> https://github.com/jenkinsci/docker/issues/884. The AdoptOpenJDK image
> has tags that support OpenJ9, so it should not be to much more work to
> support this additional tag for our Jenkins images.
>

> The only roadblock right now is the base image/tag support the official
> AdoptOpenJDK image on DockerHub. Currently, they only support an Ubuntu and
> Widows Server Core base image. I talked with the Adopt team, Alpine and
> Debian, Ubi base images are coming down the pipeline. This is aimed at the
> next PR to the official DockerHub image repository. CentOS/ClefOS are also
> coming but I do not have an ETA.
>
> Now we could wait for the official image or we could use the unofficial
> images the Adopt team does produce. Using the unofficial images does
> provide us with Alpine, Debian, etc support quicker. But they will be
> unofficial images, which I know some users do not like to use.
>

> Either way, I wanted to get community feedback! So please let me know what
> you think of this proposal.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/6eb646a8-6835-4720-beca-9afe95fa0ca0%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/6eb646a8-6835-4720-beca-9afe95fa0ca0%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>

Thanks!