Hello all!

In preparation for Hacktoberfest, the Pipeline Authoring SIG was discussing
good first issues and opportunities for improvement.  The topic of
documentation came up, specifically *Plugin Developer documentation*.

If you've written a plugin before, there many lessons learned and best
practices that would have been great to know up front.

I'm starting this thread to hear from you all:

*What lessons have you learned while developing a Jenkins plugin that you
wish you knew up front? *

Some high level topics to help kickstart the conversation:

   1. Unit Testing
      1. Jenkins Test Harness
      2. Specific examples testing particular use cases
      3. How to mock a remote source code repository
      4. Validating configurations in the UI work as expected
   2. Plugin Development Lifecycle
      1. Productivity tips for how to simplify plugin development
   3. Backwards maintainability best practices
   4. Ecosystem compatibility best practices

We would love to hear examples of topics that could be good first issues
for folks to help build out the plugin developer document.

Thank you for your help!