Yes I have been surprised at how many users are running Jenkins in
Tomcat, or at least how vocal they have been. My gut feeling is that
dropping Level 2 support for traditional servlet containers is a
non-trivial project: e.g. collecting telemetry to quantify current
usage of traditional servlet containers, announcing the deprecation
months in advance through an administrative monitor, writing blog
posts and migration guides, etc. I am not sure how many users are
running Jenkins in Tomcat out of inertia and would switch if they had
to versus how many users are running Jenkins in Tomcat due to some
corporate policy and would refuse to upgrade if they had to switch to
Winstone. Either way the status quo of Level 2 support is not costing
us much in terms of maintenance burden, so I see no need to prioritize
such a project in the short to medium term.