On Thursday, May 25, 2023 at 6:09:42 AM UTC-6 you wrote:

Hi,
lately I've been working on improving the Gradle support for building
Jenkins plugins, see
https://github.com/jenkinsci/gradle-jpi-plugin/issues/213 for more details

Thanks for doing that.

The latest JPI plugin release 0.49.0 and recent changes on the
pipeline-library (https://github.com/jenkins-infra/pipeline-library/pull/654
and https://github.com/jenkins-infra/pipeline-library/pull/652) enable
quality checks and incremental builds on ci.jenkins.io. Where can we
document this and would it be ok to re-enable Gradle support ?

https://github.com/jenkinsci/gradle-jpi-plugin/issues/213#issue-1499881868
indicates the following reasons that the hosting team started rejecting new
hosting requests for plugins built with Gradle:

   - No support for JEP-229
   <https://github.com/jenkinsci/jep/blob/master/jep/229/README.adoc>
   - No support for JEP-305
   <https://github.com/jenkinsci/jep/tree/master/jep/305>
   - Lacking end-user documentation on jenkins.io
   <https://www.jenkins.io/doc/developer/publishing/releasing/>
   - No support for publishing static analysis and coverage reports on
   ci.jenkins.io
   - No support for building on ACI (Azure Container Instance) agents
   - Suspect to produce invalid pom.xml files causing issues with third
   parties and the update center in the past

You noted that the second bullet (JEP-305 - incremental builds) is now
supported and that the fourth bullet (quality checks) are now supported and
that the first bullet (JEP-229 - automated release / continuous delivery)
is not supported.

Are you willing to create end user documentation on jenkins.io for those
who use Gradle?

I'm not a member of the hosting team, but I think they will want to be
assured that Jenkins plugins can be successfully maintained and released
using Gradle.

One thing I've noticed though is that the cd release with Gradle would not
be supported by the dedicated Github action. I wonder if it worth
supporting, since I don't see it used by a lot of plugins currently:
https://github.com/search?q=org%3Ajenkinsci%20%22maven-cd.yml%40v1%22%20path%3A*.yml&type=code.

What do you think ?

Your query is not showing you how widely the automated release process is
used.

https://github.com/search?q=repo%3Ajenkins-infra%2Frepository-permissions-updater+%22cd%3A%22&type=code

shows that 340 repositories have enabled automated release.

I'm not sure what stops Gradle from being supported by automated release,
but the number of plugins using automated releases has been steadily
increasing for a