I have never had a problem with Jenkins not capturing output. And
AFAICS the the wiki page you refer to does not mention such a problem
either.

Sure, if you want to use background processes in your job, you will
want to make sure you do not exit before you have waited for them all
or killed them off.

If you cancel a job, Jenkins will try to kill your background
processes but it may not be perfect, so do not trust it. (For more
info, search for "Jenkins ProcessTreeKiller")

-- Sami