On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 11:14 AM, Nig
<nigel.robb...@wallstreetsystems.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to kick off a Jenkins build asynchronously using something
> like JMS ?
>
> This is because I want an in-house java-based system to tell Jenkins to
> start a job and not have to wait until the job completes.
>
> I am currently using the Jenkins Java API to kick off a job using the Java
> CLI class but the problem is my code has to wait for the job to complete.
>
> It would be better to just send a command in the form of a JMS message so
> that my code will not have to wait for job completion.
>
> The java-based system would then need to be able to receive feedback (e.g.
> job success, job failure with details).

The obvious thing is to hit the rest interface, but if you want the
two things to be almost completely unaware of each other, the other
system could commit something to an SCM like subversion where jenkins
is polling for changes.  The thing it commits might or might not
actually be used to control changes in the job, and this approach can
work even if the systems can't connect directly or aren't online at
the same times.  The job itself might send completion details, or
maybe you could route an email from the email-ext plugin back to your
other process.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikes...@gmail.com