On 19 June 2012 20:28, Sami Tikka <sjti...@gmail.com> wrote:
> AFAIK there is no obvious way to do that in Jenkins. But if you tell
> us why you think you need this feature, maybe we can suggest other
> ways to solve your problem.

The problem I want to solve is to build three or four, or potentially
many more, different projects stored in different repositories with
similar layouts to finally combine the artifacts into a set of
deliverables.

The solution I employ now is to to have each project check out the
latest version into a common work area so I always know where they are
relative to each other. All of these checkouts are done using
different Jenkins jobs. Then I have one job that executes all build
steps, including building using Maven 2, Maven 3 and Ant. If all steps
are successful, I finally packages a set of release candidates that
has passed all our automated tests and a load test. All jobs trigger
downstream jobs to form a chain of jobs.

I could check out all the different projects at the same time by
adding URLs to many git repositories. But since they have similar
layouts they will overwrite each other if they all are checked put to
the same root. My solution is therefore to place the sources in a
common root and under known sub modules within that root. This works
very well if all jobs are executed on the same slave. But if I could
have all jobs executed on the same slave just by specifying the slave
category, then I could probably have less slaves to carry the same
load and thus reduce the maintenance of many slaves.

/Thomas