The behaviour is correct the default env variables that the promotion job
sees are the one for its own runs (as it a job/project in itself).

However it provides a different set of env variables, so that you can get
at job being promoted, these are

PROMOTED_URL - URL of the job being promoted
ex: http://jenkins/job/job_name_being_promoted/77/
PROMOTED_JOB_NAME - Promoted job name
ex: job_name_being_promoted
PROMOTED_NUMBER - Build number of the promoted job
ex: 77
PROMOTED_ID - ID of the build being promoted
ex: 2012-04-12_17-13-03

As copied from the wiki page
https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Promoted+Builds+Plugin

Chris