The Promote plugin is its own project and has its own configuration file.
which are stored under Jobs/<Job_Name>/promotion/<Promotion_Name>/config.xml

If you are copying jobs via the new job / copy from existing project,
please look and see if there is an issue relating to this, as I tested it
in 1.449 and it works correctly there.
https://issues.jenkins-ci.org

Chris