Jenkins allows you to specify multiple git executables in both master and slave
configurations. The job configuration (under the git advanced button) allows
you to specify which git executable you want to use for this job.

Could it be you have configured the job to use a git executable which has an
empty path in the master/slave configuration?

You can increase logging for the git plugin only. Go to Manage Jenkins ->
System log. Create a new log recorder. Name it what you want. Logger should be
hudson.plugins.git. Log level what you want.

Unfortunately it seems the git plugin does not log too much. But another module
the git plugin uses for running the actual git process logs the commands it
runs. You can add another logger for hudson.Proc. This should allow you to see
exactly what Jenkins is executing on behalf of the git plugin.

I got this information by browsing the git plugin source code at
https://github.com/jenkinsci/git-plugin

-- Sami