This assumes that "poll SCM" and "build periodically" are set as the
triggers in the same job.

So you are seeing the config as in the image
https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Conditional+BuildStep+Plugin#ConditionalBuildStepPlugin-Conditionalstep%28single%29
or
https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Conditional+BuildStep+Plugin#ConditionalBuildStepPlugin-Conditionalsteps%28multiple%29

For the Developer commit started builds I would select the Build Cause from
the Run? dropdown
and then in the configuration for Build cause below that select SCMTrigger.
Assuming the poll SCM is occurring in this job.

For the nightly started builds I would select the Build Cause from the Run?
dropdown
and then in the configuration for Build cause below that select
TimerTrigger. Assuming that it is triggered by "Build periodically"

You might need to set "Exclusive Cause" depending on how your setup works,
depending on if you have commits occurring around the same time as the
nightly build.