That's an excellent idea. I believe there already is some verification in the
plugin loading process but maybe it happens too late.

jenkins-users list, however, is mostly visited by ... users of jenkins. If you
want someone to actually do something, you could find jenkins developers on the
jenkins-dev list. I think the first thing they will ask you to do is open a bug
or a feature request in the jenkins issue tracer.

-- Sami