I do not have real experience on how to build embedded linux with Jenkins, but
I did once work for a project embedding FreeBSD, so it is probably close enough.

I don't think there's anything tricky about it. If you cannot set up an
environment for building and make the build with one or two commands, you have
a problem, but the problem is not Jenkins.

If you have your source tree set up such that you can check it out and run
something like: "sudo make build-dep && make && make tests" and your build will
work, things are good and it is easy to make Jenkins execute it. If you have to
spend a lot of time to do complex setup for the build machine, taking Jenkins
into use will be difficult.

Working on the environment setup will pay back later. I have seen it many times
when a new guy joins the team or a new build machine needs to be set up or ...
many times.

If the environment setup cannot be easily scripted, maybe you can capsulate it
into a virtual machine? So instead of running a script to set up libraries and
compilers you run a script that sets up a vm which already has the needed
environment. Take a look at Vagrant. http://vagrantup.com (There is a Jenkins
plugin for vagrant vms.)

-- Sami