We use Jenkins for our rails projects and are moving to a master-and-slaves
setup on EC2, where a small master spawns slaves as needed. The Amazon EC2
plugin works well - it starts new instances and establishes a slave
connection. However, builds that pass on the master fail on the slave.

On the master each project has a JENKINS_HOME/jobs/project_name/workspace
directory with a clone of the git project and I can run the tests from the
command line in the workspace or by triggering the build in Jenkins. I
thought the master would just copy the workspace onto the slave and execute
the job there, but it doesn't seem to. At first the slave's project
workspace directory was empty. I added the Copy to Slave plugin and set it
to copy *, but the rake task still aborts - and the workspace directory
only has a few files in it.

The guide to setting up slaves
(https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Step+by+step+guide+to+set+up+master+and+slave+machines)

seems to focus on getting slaves to run/connect to the master. That part's
working fine!

Anybody know where I can find documentation on how the master interacts
with the slave at the job level? Examples of successful configuration for
rails projects in a master/slave configuration? Suggestions? I'm new to
Jenkins, so I may be missing something basic.

Thanks,
acozine