On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 4:22 PM, zperry <zack.pe...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>> I've never needed enough slaves that it was a problem to click the
>> 'copy existing node' button and click 'OK', but maybe there is a way
>> to do it through the rest interface.
>

> I have not found a reference in this regard, and would appreciate a pointer.
> I will do the digging.

This would be a starting point - there is also a cli and a way to use
groovy to access the whole api.
https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Remote+access+API

>> For linux slaves started via ssh you don't really need anything for
>> jenkins other than the jvm and a
>> suitable user account.
>

> All these have been done.  Right now, for POC, I have setup three KVM guests
> (all done via kickstart hands-off):
>
> Ubuntu 12.04 64bit
> Ubuntu 11.04 64bit
> Fedora 17 64bit
>
> All have openjdk, Jenkins packages installed, all can ssh to each other as
> the 'jenkins' user.

You shouldn't need the jenkins package installed on the slaves, and
they don't need to ssh to each other.  Just a user with ssh keys set
up so the master can execute commands and it will copy the slave jar
over itself.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikes...@gmail.com