I have a Jenkins 1.490 installation on a machine running Windows Server
2008.  The Jenkins installation is secured using Jenkins own user database
with matrix-based security authorization.  Anonymous users don't have any
access, except to register an account.  I have set up an account and gave
this account full access.

Now I'd like to trigger a build remotely from a different machine that
hosts the repository.  I believe this should be possible by accessing the
following URL:

https://[username]:[user_api_token]@[address.of.jenkins]:8080/job/[project]/build?token=[project_api_token]

However, this does not seem to be working for me.  When I access this site
in a browser, Jenkins forwards to the login-page, and does not start the
build.

What am I doing wrong?  It seems to be an authentication problem, as I'm
not logged in after opening the URL above.  Furthermore, if I give
anonymous users full access, the URL works.

(This question was originally asked on
stackoverflow.com<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13420673/remote-access-to-secured-jenkins-server>,

but I realize that this is a more appropriate place.)