I tend to run all my builds on slaves.
- make sure the workspace on slaves is different from that on the master
- have a recent version of java on the slave
- be able to ssh to it and our .cshrc should throw any error's or messages
to the terminal when you get there
Slaves need to be able to get to your git/SVN servers.

You don't need tomcat to run a jenkins master. You can run it natively.
>java --jar jenkins.war &
Backup $JENKINS_HOME on the master. It is all you need.

Have Fun
Frank