We also ended up generally saving all metadata (system/environment
variables, jenkins parameters, and build properties etc) into properties
file and archieve them. This approach simplifies/works around many problems
we had. Now every build has its metadata archived, for downstream jobs or
later references, we can get all necessary information from this one file,
no extra parameters needed to be pass around. Furthermore, if anything went
wrong, the metadata is very helpful for the investigation. I would also
recommend this simple strategy.