A few questions:

1: Is this Tomcat instance the one you're running Jenkins on?  I'm guessing
not; if you are, then you're trying to press your own 'off' button.
2: Does the Tomcat instance run on a port beneath 1024?  If so, I believe that
the instance has to run as root, or hide behind something that is running as
root.
3: If you're not running on a low port, does the Tomcat instance need to be
running as root?  In fact, is it, or is the init.d job sudoing to a non-root
user before launching the app.
4: Do you need to start the server from Jenkins, stop it from Jenkins, or both?
5: Do you have read/write access to the init.d launcher?  If so, I'd suggest
writing your own launcher with all the arguments you need and having the init.d
launcher just sudo to a non-root user and run your launcher.  That way, you'd
be able to run that launcher from Jenkins directly without messing with init.d.

There are two basic problems here.  One is that you are considering running
Jenkins as root.  If you can run _anything_ from Jenkins as root, then you can
run _everything_ from Jenkins as root.  If you really need Jenkins to run a
particular thing as root, you may want to look at setuid scripts, which would
be a smaller security hole (but it's still probably a security hole).  The
other is that you want to control start/stop from Jenkins, and the fact that
there's an init.d script means that you also want to control it from init.
It's probably better to let one or the other control the server, but I can see
situations where you would require both.