Has anyone tried to put the Jenkins configuration directory tree (less the
workspace sub-directory) under SCM control? (Similar to William Soula's
suggestion)

Creating a second Jenkins instance could be as simple as:
- install Jenkins from scratch
- configure it to put the workspace somewhere else
- go command line and replace the existing Jenkins config tree by cloning
the repository
- in Jenkins: reload the config from disk

I haven't done this (yet), but it seems plausible.

John