Just today I've seen something relatively similar in jenkins 1.501. I was
able to observe in real time how jenkins killed itself (I used strace,
since jenkins had been just exiting leaving no trace of what was going on).

To cause that, a local job (scheduled in "master") was started manually,
consisting of a little shell snippet which executed a python script which
in turn executed "make" to build some c++ stuff. If from the console of the
job I clicked on the little red cross to abort it, jenkins seemed to send
SIGTERM to the process group, which must have included itself.

Unless the scripts tried to defend themselves.

In any case. So it goes.

--
Alvaro Martinez Echevarria