Jorge Costa <jmecosta <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> Im having a customized version of the surround scm plugin. Ive added a few
more configuration parameters and now once ive change the configuration after
the job runs i get this nasty NPE. I need to reload configuration from disk and
change the settings right away before it runs again.

> Can someone help finding the issue with my configuration. Thanks in advance
>
> Jorge Costa
>

> Exception: java.lang.RuntimeException: Failed to serialize
hudson.model.AbstractProject#scm for class
hudson.model.FreeStyleProjectStacktrace:javax.servlet.ServletException:
java.lang.RuntimeException: Failed to serialize
hudson.model.AbstractProject#scm
for class hudson.model.FreeStyleProject
>       at org.kohsuke.stapler.Stapler.tryInvoke(Stapler.java:616)
>       at org.kohsuke.stapler.Stapler.invoke(Stapler.java:659)
>       at org.kohsuke.stapler.MetaClass$6.doDispatch(MetaClass.java:241)
>       at
org.kohsuke.stapler.NameBasedDispatcher.dispatch(NameBasedDispatcher.java:53)
>       at org.kohsuke.stapler.Stapler.tryInvoke(Stapler.java:574)
>       at org.kohsuke.stapler.Stapler.invoke(Stapler.java:659)
>       at org.kohsuke.stapler.Stapler.invoke(Stapler.java:488)
>       at org.kohsuke.stapler.Stapler.service(Stapler.java:162)
>       at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:45)
>       at winstone.ServletConfiguration.execute(ServletConfiguration.java:248)
>       at winstone.RequestDispatcher.forward(RequestDispatcher.java:333)
>       at winstone.RequestDispatcher.doFilter(RequestDispatcher.java:376)
>       at
hudson.util.PluginServletFilter$1.doFilter(PluginServletFilter.java:95)
>       at hudson.util.PluginServletFilter.doFilter(PluginServletFilter.java:87)
>       at winstone.FilterConfiguration.execute(FilterConfiguration.java:194)
>       at winstone.RequestDispatcher.doFilter(RequestDispatcher.java:366)
>       at hudson.security.csrf.CrumbFilter.doFilter(CrumbFilter.java:47)
>       at winstone.FilterConfiguration.execute(FilterConfiguration.java:194)
>       at winstone.RequestDispatcher.doFilter(RequestDispatcher.java:366)
>       at
hudson.security.ChainedServletFilter$1.doFilter(ChainedServletFilter.java:84)
>       at
hudson.security.ChainedServletFilter.doFilter(ChainedServletFilter.java:76)
>       at hudson.security.HudsonFilter.doFilter(HudsonFilter.java:164)
>       at winstone.FilterConfiguration.execute(FilterConfiguration.java:194)
>       at winstone.RequestDispatcher.doFilter(RequestDispatcher.java:366)
>       at
org.kohsuke.stapler.compression.CompressionFilter.doFilter(CompressionFilter.jav
a:50)
>       at winstone.FilterConfiguration.execute(FilterConfiguration.java:194)
>       at winstone.RequestDispatcher.doFilter(RequestDispatcher.java:366)
>       at
hudson.util.CharacterEncodingFilter.doFilter(CharacterEncodingFilter.java:81)
>       at winstone.FilterConfiguration.execute(FilterConfiguration.java:194)
>       at winstone.RequestDispatcher.doFilter(RequestDispatcher.java:366)
>       at winstone.RequestDispatcher.forward(RequestDispatcher.java:331)
>       at
winstone.RequestHandlerThread.processRequest(RequestHandlerThread.java:215)
>       at winstone.RequestHandlerThread.run(RequestHandlerThread.java:138)
>       at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown Source)
>       at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(Unknown Source)
>       at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
>       at winstone.BoundedExecutorService$1.run(BoundedExecutorService.java:77)
>       at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(Unknown
Source)
>       at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
>       at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
> Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Failed to serialize
hudson.model.AbstractProject#scm for class hudson.model.FreeStyleProject
>       at
hudson.util.RobustReflectionConverter$2.writeField(RobustReflectionConverter.jav
a:207)
>       at
hudson.util.RobustReflectionConverter$2.visit(RobustReflectionConverter.java:175
)
>       at
com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.PureJavaReflectionProvider.visitS
erializableFields(PureJavaReflectionProvider.java:130)
>       at
hudson.util.RobustReflectionConverter.doMarshal(RobustReflectionConverter.java:1
60)
>       at
hudson.util.RobustReflectionConverter.marshal(RobustReflectionConverter.java:101
)
>       at
com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.AbstractReferenceMarshaller.convert(AbstractRefere
nceMarshaller.java:68)
>       at
com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.TreeMarshaller.convertAnother(TreeMarshaller.java:
78)
>       at
com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.TreeMarshaller.convertAnother(TreeMarshaller.java:
63)
>       at
com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.TreeMarshaller.start(TreeMarshaller.java:98)
>       at
com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.AbstractTreeMarshallingStrategy.marshal(AbstractTr
eeMarshallingStrategy.java:38)
>       at com.thoughtworks.xstream.XStream.marshal(XStream.java:840)
>       at com.thoughtworks.xstream.XStream.marshal(XStream.java:829)
>       at com.thoughtworks.xstream.XStream.toXML(XStream.java:804)
>       at hudson.XmlFile.write(XmlFile.java:177)
>       at hudson.model.AbstractItem.save(AbstractItem.java:456)
>       at hudson.model.Job.save(Job.java:148)
>       at hudson.model.AbstractItem.setDisplayName(AbstractItem.java:158)
>       at hudson.model.Job.doConfigSubmit(Job.java:987)
>       at hudson.model.AbstractProject.doConfigSubmit(AbstractProject.java:706)
>       at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
>       at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
>       at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
>       at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
>       at
org.kohsuke.stapler.Function$InstanceFunction.invoke(Function.java:288)
>       at org.kohsuke.stapler.Function.bindAndInvoke(Function.java:151)
>       at
org.kohsuke.stapler.Function.bindAndInvokeAndServeResponse(Function.java:90)
>       at org.kohsuke.stapler.MetaClass$1.doDispatch(MetaClass.java:111)
>       at
org.kohsuke.stapler.NameBasedDispatcher.dispatch(NameBasedDispatcher.java:53)
>       at org.kohsuke.stapler.Stapler.tryInvoke(Stapler.java:574)
>       ... 39 more
> Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Failed to serialize
hudson.scm.SurroundSCM#cloner for class hudson.scm.SurroundSCM
>       at
hudson.util.RobustReflectionConverter$2.writeField(RobustReflectionConverter.jav
a:207)
>       at
hudson.util.RobustReflectionConverter$2.visit(RobustReflectionConverter.java:175
)
>       at
com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.PureJavaReflectionProvider.visitS
erializableFields(PureJavaReflectionProvider.java:130)
>       at
hudson.util.RobustReflectionConverter.doMarshal(RobustReflectionConverter.java:1
60)
>       at
hudson.util.RobustReflectionConverter.marshal(RobustReflectionConverter.java:101
)
>       at
com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.AbstractReferenceMarshaller.convert(AbstractRefere
nceMarshaller.java:68)
>       at
com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.TreeMarshaller.convertAnother(TreeMarshaller.java:
78)
>       at
hudson.util.RobustReflectionConverter.marshallField(RobustReflectionConverter.ja
va:216)
>       at
hudson.util.RobustReflectionConverter$2.writeField(RobustReflectionConverter.jav
a:203)
>       ... 67 more
> Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Failed to serialize
hudson.scm.SurroundSCMClone#launcher for class hudson.scm.SurroundSCMClone
>       at
hudson.util.RobustReflectionConverter$2.writeField(RobustReflectionConverter.jav
a:207)
>       at
hudson.util.RobustReflectionConverter$2.visit(RobustReflectionConverter.java:175
)
>       at
com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.PureJavaReflectionProvider.visitS
erializableFields(PureJavaReflectionProvider.java:130)
>       at
hudson.util.RobustReflectionConverter.doMarshal(RobustReflectionConverter.java:1
60)
>       at
hudson.util.RobustReflectionConverter.marshal(RobustReflectionConverter.java:101
)
>       at
com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.AbstractReferenceMarshaller.convert(AbstractRefere
nceMarshaller.java:68)
>       at
com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.TreeMarshaller.convertAnother(TreeMarshaller.java:
78)
>       at
hudson.util.RobustReflectionConverter.marshallField(RobustReflectionConverter.ja
va:216)
>       at
hudson.util.RobustReflectionConverter$2.writeField(RobustReflectionConverter.jav
a:203)
>       ... 75 more
> Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Failed to serialize
hudson.Launcher#listener for class hudson.Launcher$LocalLauncher
>       at
hudson.util.RobustReflectionConverter$2.writeField(RobustReflectionConverter.jav
a:207)
>       at
hudson.util.RobustReflectionConverter$2.visit(RobustReflectionConverter.java:175
)
>       at
com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.PureJavaReflectionProvider.visitS
erializableFields(PureJavaReflectionProvider.java:130)
>       at
hudson.util.RobustReflectionConverter.doMarshal(RobustReflectionConverter.java:1
60)
>       at
hudson.util.RobustReflectionConverter.marshal(RobustReflectionConverter.java:101
)
>       at
com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.AbstractReferenceMarshaller.convert(AbstractRefere
nceMarshaller.java:68)
>       at
com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.TreeMarshaller.convertAnother(TreeMarshaller.java:
78)
>       at
hudson.util.RobustReflectionConverter.marshallField(RobustReflectionConverter.ja
va:216)
>       at
hudson.util.RobustReflectionConverter$2.writeField(RobustReflectionConverter.jav
a:203)
>       ... 83 more
> Caused by: com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.ConversionException: Could not
call hudson.model.StreamBuildListener.writeObject() : Could not call
hudson.remoting.RemoteOutputStream.writeObject() : null
> ---- Debugging information ----
> message             : Could not call
hudson.remoting.RemoteOutputStream.writeObject()
> cause-exception     : java.lang.NullPointerException
> cause-message       : null
> -------------------------------
> message             : Could not call
hudson.model.StreamBuildListener.writeObject()
> cause-exception     : com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.ConversionException
> cause-message       : Could not call
hudson.remoting.RemoteOutputStream.writeObject() : null
> -------------------------------
>       at
com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.SerializationMethodInvoker.callWr
iteObject(SerializationMethodInvoker.java:104)
>       at
com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.SerializableConverter.doMarshal(S
erializableConverter.java:215)
>       at
com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.AbstractReflectionConverter.marsh
al(AbstractReflectionConverter.java:58)
>       at
com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.AbstractReferenceMarshaller.convert(AbstractRefere
nceMarshaller.java:68)
>       at
com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.TreeMarshaller.convertAnother(TreeMarshaller.java:
78)
>       at
hudson.util.RobustReflectionConverter.marshallField(RobustReflectionConverter.ja
va:216)
>       at
hudson.util.RobustReflectionConverter$2.writeField(RobustReflectionConverter.jav
a:203)
>       ... 91 more
> Caused by: com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.ConversionException: Could not
call hudson.remoting.RemoteOutputStream.writeObject() : null
> ---- Debugging information ----
> message             : Could not call
hudson.remoting.RemoteOutputStream.writeObject()
> cause-exception     : java.lang.NullPointerException
> cause-message       : null
> -------------------------------
>       at
com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.SerializationMethodInvoker.callWr
iteObject(SerializationMethodInvoker.java:104)
>       at
com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.SerializableConverter.doMarshal(S
erializableConverter.java:215)
>       at
com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.AbstractReflectionConverter.marsh
al(AbstractReflectionConverter.java:58)
>       at
com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.AbstractReferenceMarshaller.convert(AbstractRefere
nceMarshaller.java:68)
>       at
com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.TreeMarshaller.convertAnother(TreeMarshaller.java:
78)
>       at
com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.TreeMarshaller.convertAnother(TreeMarshaller.java:
63)
>       at
com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.SerializableConverter$1.writeToSt
ream(SerializableConverter.java:104)
>       at
com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.util.CustomObjectOutputStream.writeObjectOverride(
CustomObjectOutputStream.java:84)
>       at java.io.ObjectOutputStream.writeObject(Unknown Source)
>       at
hudson.util.StreamTaskListener.writeObject(StreamTaskListener.java:161)
>       at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
>       at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
>       at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
>       at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
>       at
com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.SerializationMethodInvoker.callWr
iteObject(SerializationMethodInvoker.java:100)
>       ... 97 more
>       at
hudson.remoting.RemoteOutputStream.writeObject(RemoteOutputStream.java:82)
>       at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
>       at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
>       at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
>       at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
>       at
com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.SerializationMethodInvoker.callWr
iteObject(SerializationMethodInvoker.java:100)
>       ... 111 more

Hi Jorge,

I have the same issue with my build environment. Were you able to fix your
plugin? Can you share your solution?

Best,
Yenwen